Pratap Chandra Memorial Homoeopathic Hospital & College was established in the year 1926 by late Dr. Jitendra Nath Majumder, in order to commemorate the name of his illustrious father late Dr. Pratap Chandra Majumder who was one of the pioneers of homoeopathy in India and popularized homoeopathy in Bengal. Dr. Jitendra Nath Majumder, founder of this institution was the eldest son of late Dr. Pratap Chandra Majumder. He was born on July 4, 1876. He established this institution at first in a rented building at Mechhua Bazaar Street, opposite to the YMCA building. Later, in the year 1930, the present plot of land at 14/1, Narkeldanga North Road, Kolkata-700011 was purchased by him and a temporary structure was constructed to start the out-patient department. In the year 1932, the founder, late Dr. Jitendra Nath Majumder handed over the institution to the Board of Trustees duly registered under Charitable Act XXI of 1860. The institution was registered under Registrar of Society Act 140, for 1935-36 dated 18/09/1935.
In the year 1934, the college department was shifted to the present hospital premises. The first phase of the newly constructed college building covers approx. 16,000 sq. ft. accommodating necessary classrooms, laboratories, library, anatomy museum, dissection hall, indoor male patient department etc. The second phase of development of separate hospital building has partly completed to run indoor female patient department, maternity ward & operation theatre.Out patient department in the morning and afternoon shift, dental, eye, medical, surgical, ECG, USG,x-ray, physiotherapy, ENT, cardiology departments are working. The nerve centre of the college, the library, is well stocked with the latest text and reference books by Indian and foreign authors. In addition the library subscribes to many journals. The library facilities are in a continuous state of upgrading. The students can freely use the library facilities for their benefit. Late Dr. Pratul Chandra Majumder & late Atul Chandra Majumder, sons of the founder late Jitendra Nath Majumder, took admission in this college after passing the LMF examination and qualified themselves in homoeopathy.
The nucleus of the whole academic life and administration was centered around late Dr. Jnan Majumder (MSc, MB, FRCS, MRCP, DMS, MD) who was the friend, philosopher, guide of this institution and was also centered around late Dr. A.C. Majumder. Late Dr. B.K. Dhar rendered his valuable service by upholding the nucleus of this institution till his death. Late Dr. Jitendra Nath Majumder was the Chairman of the Board of Trustees during his lifetime. After his demise, his eldest son late Dr. Pratul Chandra Majumdar became the Chairman, followed by late Prof. Prasanta Roy and late Dr. B.K. Dhar and Late Dr. Subodh Dey. Then the Chairmanship was entrusted to DR. Ranjit Chakrabarty, the present Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
Among the notable persons, who have dedicated their benevolent services towards the Institution are respectfully remembered-